I recently co-wrote the brand-new, full-color edition of Lonely Planet's Honolulu, Waikiki and Oahu travel guide. An excerpt, covering island highlights and recommended vacation itineraries, is available for free download online. Here's a sneak peek of what you'll find inside it:
- Hitting Oahu's best all-around beach, for its kid-friendly waves or adrenaline-charged water sports.
- Shopping for vintage aloha shirts and catching traditional Hawaiian music and hula shows.
- Discovering tropical forest hiking trails, just minutes from downtown Honolulu.
- Viewing ancient Hawaiian artifacts, like priceless feather capes once worn by royalty.
- Driving Oahu's most scenic highway (no, it's not on the North Shore!)
Share your favorite spots on Oahu by posting a comment below.